Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Project Sewn: Little Black Dress

The day has come and Season 2 of Project sewn has started! After reading about the first season and loving all the pretties sewn during the competition, this time I am all ready to take part in their sewalong:)

For this week, its the little black dress challenge. I love the color black... And used to own many pretty black dresses previously (when I still got the figure... Now my bulging tummy is really stubborn and doesn't want to say good bye to me yet. HA!) So now I got an opportunity to sew up my LBD.

I always dreamed of a sexy cut out back dress so I choose Simplicity 1651 sewing pattern with the sweetheart neckline version. And used a black poly poplin fabric (fabric.com) from my stash for it.

I cut a size 6 for the bust tapering to a 8 for the waist and used skirt 8 skirting. The skirt is just a half circle skirt, a wee bit of flare and still able to twirl around, BUT! I much prefer a full circle skirt instead. The sewing instructions are quite clear and the dress whips up very fast and breezy. The pattern calls for facings to close the front neckline and back and uses bias tape for armhole.


 
I love the back design, but I regretted the fabric choice... It is thick and stubborn, doesn't press well and doesn't stay well. So after moving about in this dress, I need to tuck here and there to get the dress to sit nicely. Or is it my fitting problem? I think the dress fit is ok and got just enough ease. So I am not really sure what's causing the shifting and fussing.
 
 
U c how wonky the fabric is? I shall get hold of some nice black rayon or cotton sateen to make another dress instead.
 
 
I hand sewn on some tiny weeni pearl ribbons at the neckline and 1 at the v back for fun embellishment.
Other than the poor fabric choice, I kinda like this dress. Simple and versatile and great for date nights. (If I ever had one in future after the boys are grown up ? LOL. Daddy pls take note!)
 
 
Sneezing Pic! Getting chilly nowadays:) Hahahahahah...
 
 
How about you? Do you have the perfect little black dress in your closet? And how is it like?
 
Thanks for stopping by:)
 
XOXO Ashley
 

8 comments:

  1. I think you did a great job. It didn't look too wonky in the back to me! I have a great black knit dress from Lands end that I love. I'm hoping to someday do a rub off of it so I can re-create it in more colors!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank u! Maybe it is just me not used to the polyester

      Delete
  2. Great job, I love the cutouts and detail you added. Fit looks pretty good too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ashley, I am IN LOVE with this dress. Great basic pattern but FULL of adorable details (the back is awesome!)....lovely work!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so flattering! I love the interest with the stripes in the back.

    ReplyDelete